The Mission of FIRST LEGO League is to:
- Introduce children to the fun and excitement of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).
- Develop Children’s abilities to work in teams.
- Stimulate Children’s use of creativity in the problem solving process.
FIRST LEGO League (FLL) East Africa was launched in Kenya on 7th October 2016 at Brookhouse Academy, Nairobi. FLL EA is run by GSAT EA LTD, The LEGO & LEGO Education distributor in East Africa. SAT EA wishes to get like-minded organizations involved to ensure the goal of getting children excited in STEM and inspiring creativity into these young minds.
- Teams of 6 to 10 kids work together to digest, understand and solve a real world challenge
- All teams have an adult coach that functions as a facilitator
- The challenge of the year goes live early September
- The teams have 8 weeks to get ready for the tournament. This means: Build, program and test their robotics invention
- Develop a strategy on how to score as many points as possible
- Research the challenge topic and prepare a presentation
- Document all the work
- The teams then meet at a one day event
- Confidence and self-esteem based upon a known ability to meaningfully contribute to society.
- Competence through enquiry-based learning in the disciplines of science engineering, technology and mathematics.
- Community based on respect for self and others.
- Compassion and dignity based on gracious professionalism.